Your Landlord Guide

Italianate Style Row Homes Houses Washington DC USA

Do not risk getting fined!  All property owners who rent a house, an apartment, or just a portion of their home to a District resident is required to obtain a Basic Business License (BBL). This is one of the few ways that the District can ensure that the property is safe to occupy and can be properly monitored. It gives the landlord and renters certain protections.   Potential landlords, apply for a Basic Business Licenses here.

Additionally, DCRA has prepared an example of our Housing Inspection Reporting Form that can be used in an initial move-in or inspection to ensure that property owners sustain buildings and units that are safe, habitable and livable for renters.   This form can be a guide to assist a tenant and landlord in identifying unsafe conditions.

Familiarize yourself with the District’s Lead Law and Regulations.   Provide a lead-safe environment and disclose to your tenant what you know about the presence of lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards in the residence.

If you suspect that your property does not comply with housing code standards, please contact DCRA at (202) 442-9557.