Feel Lost Dealing With Landlord/Tenant? Go to Multi-Door.

Over the past four months, we have received over 11,200 hits and one question we have seen recently is while DCRA can help with structural and safety issues, what about security deposits, dishwashers that won’t work, landlords changing rent without notice, absentee landlords? And landlords, you often ask about renters who refuse to take care of your home, late on rent etc.

There is a great service provided through the D.C. Superior Court called Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division (Multi-Door). This group helps parties settle disputes through mediation and other types of appropriate dispute resolution (ADR), including arbitration, case evaluation and conciliation.

The name “Multi-Door” comes from the multi-door courthouse concept, which envisions one courthouse with multiple dispute resolution doors or programs. Cases are referred through the appropriate door for resolution.

A renter we’ll call “DP” called about his washer, dryer and dishwasher not working either only sometimes or not at all. While DCRA is committed to doing everything within its power to assist you with issues and concerns in your neighborhood. However, some issues cannot be solved by DCRA. Many of these cases require assistance beyond our jurisdiction – DP’s for example.

If you feel you’ve reached the end of the road, go to Multi-Door.

Here are just some of the issues they can help with:

They Can Help:

  • If you have a consumer complaint: merchant, home improvement, auto repairs
  • If you have a landlord-tenant dispute: security deposit, repairs
  • If you have a complaint involving a neighbor: dogs, loud noises, trees and property
  • If you have a family dispute: custody, visitation, child support, divorce, spousal support, property
  • If you need information or a referral to legal, governmental or social services

What They Do:

  • Conduct an intake interview with you by phone or in person
  • Help you determine how you wish to resolve your dispute, including:
    • conciliation of appropriate disputes over the telephone
    • mediation between you and the other party with a mediator
    • information about other Multi-Door programs, such as family mediation
    • referral to agencies or services in the community that can address your specific need

How To Reach Multi-Door:
The Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division is located at 515 5th Street, N.W., Suite 114, Washington, DC 20001 (Please use the Police Memorial Entrance at Judiciary Square Metro Station).

If you would prefer to telephone before coming to the courthouse, please call (202) 879-1549 during business hours and ask to speak with a Dispute Resolution Specialist.

More Information:

And as always, check to see if your landlord is licensed and call us if you need help.

Is your landlord licensed? Find Out here.

If you need help knowing what to search for, click here.

When a property owner decides they want to rent a house, an apartment building or just a portion of their home, the District requires them to obtain a Basic Business License (BBL). This is one of the few ways that the city is able to ensure the property is safe to occupy and can be properly monitored. If gives you, the renters, and the landlord certain protections.

It also triggers an automatic inspection by the D.C. Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) and the D.C. Fire Marshall. If they don’t voluntary seek a BBL, we depend on people like yourselves to report these property owners and demand a housing inspection.